January 27, 2010

I Love the Internet (Links I Love!)

While I was unemployed for a period of time this summer (almost four months) I found myself with a lot of time on my hands.


Even though I spent time at the gym or hanging out with a friend who was teaching summer school, that left a lot of hours of alone time. I did spent at least two hours a day applying for jobs, but that still left me with an exorbitant amount of "free time." I plowed through a new book almost every day, got obsessed with Mafia Wars on Facebook, discovered Twitter, and then mostly trolled the internet for interesting things to read.

I always started my internet meanderings with CNN.com, and one day I came across this article and literally found myself clicking through each and every site.

My top two from this list are:

This Is Why You're Fat
Awkward Family Photos

I also love (though it's not on that list) Passive Aggressive Notes - because we've all had that roommate....

But one day a friend took a Facebook quiz entitled "Ben and Jerry's Flavor or Pottery Barn Paint Color" and I said to myself "Hmm... that's interesting. I should check out that website."

Well, that took me to the wonderful world known as MentalFloss.com

Billed as a site where "Knowledge Junkies get their fix" this is an entire website (blog, trivia, quizes, etc) dedicated to random tidbits of information. Want to know the background on the State of the Union Address? What about the men behind the alcohol (Jim, Jose, and Jack to name a few), Take a quiz entitled "Ben and Jerry's Flavor or Band I found on Myspace?" or "Doogie Howser's Diary Entry or Random Twitter Update?"

This site is updated several times a day, but be warned, once you get on the site, you will find yourself clicking through to read more and more.

Plus, they have a store with some of the funniest T-Shirts I've seen.


In fact, I've been working on a mailing at work that requires me to HAND FEED envelopes through our printer, but since i have to feed an envelope every twenty seconds or so, I can't really accomplish any other work. What do I do? I go on Mental Floss and read and read while my left hand feeds the printer. That's what I call multi-tasking.

What are some of your favorite time wasting links?

No comments: